Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What a challenge!

Last weekend at church our pastor's wife shared a lesson for Mother's day. It was about delighting in the tasks that the Lord has given you. She spoke about how she deals with the challenge of delighting in staying home with their 2 small children (2 and 4). Then 2 of my daily devotionals have been about the Proverbs 31 woman.

Kind of a big lesson for me since the Lord has been working on me for a while about what I am being called to do. After 3 years of working rear off I am dealing with the decision to leave the office and stay home. I shared at our home group the other week that I was having a hard time with this decision. I am struggling with the thought of being 'just a mom'. Even though I know that being a Mom is the greatest career of all. I struggle with it because I worked hard to get my degree and I put in 3 years of grueling work at a company, and I had been wondering if I was 'throwing it away'. After Sunday's message at church and my 2 devotionals, I think it is very clear that the Lord is calling me to stay home with the girls and that our plan is aligning with His. I am so excited to know that this is where I am supposed to be.

I never really thought about being a mom before I met Justin. I remember a talk I had with my dad when I started dating Justin. He asked me if I was ready for kids and if I even wanted kids since Justin and Bethany are very much a package deal. My dad asked me because he knew I hadn't given it much thought. And to be honest I was never one of those little girls who says they want x number of kids and the white picket fence. I knew I would go to college, get my degree, and get a job and that someday far in the future I would get married and have kids. In my view of the future I didn't see myself getting married my senior year and becoming a step mom. I never saw myself living on the east coast, being married with 2 kids before I turned 25.

I have been surprised and challenged by the Lord's plan for me. I am so blessed by what He has given me in this family and in my role as Mom! Sometimes the Lord's plan is very different from your plan, but I am so glad I was open to what he set before me. And now the challenge of delighting in my new role begins.......

www.proverbs31woman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment