Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mom's Playdate!

I have to say that ever since some friends of ours moved out to VA and started having babies and having a mom's group, the idea of play dates and other mom friends has been a dream of mine. When I was working I had other friends at work who were moms but when I got home it was dinner, bath, and bed. So now that I am staying home I have had more opportunity to meet other moms and have those play dates! When I was thinking of play dates, I wanted to make sure that the other moms were in the same frame of mind as me....meaning I didn't want to be a part of a catty moms group. I want to make sure that they are the type of friends that will support my mothering, my marriage, and that are 'for me friends'. Thankfully I have been able to meet some great friends through our church, and the play dates have begun!

I just got home from the first big play date with both kids. I had so much fun, and so did Bethany...Madison did too(I guess, she just hung out on my hip).

I am so excited about what the Lord is doing in my life right now, and I am so happy to have the opportunity to just be a mom. In our society a lot of people see being a stay at home mom as being 'just a mom'. When did that start and why is it a stigma? I understand that with the economy most families need 2 incomes, and that women fought for equality in the work place and all of that stuff....BUT

I am loving learning about being a mother and a housewife. I am having fun teaching the kids things, and doing 'mom school' with Bethany so she can keep up with her school during the summer. I am loving getting to see Madison grow and change every day.I am loving being able to make our schedule for each day, and knowing what and who they're exposed to! I am loving learning to cook all kinds of meals and learning to make other stuff without a box!! I even tried my hand at canning this weekend with homemade black berry jam, and it is delish!

I am in no way saying that being a stay at home mom is the best thing for every family, and I know how hard it is to be a working mom because I've been there! It is incredibly hard to get all of the things that need done at home while maintaining a full time job. Not everyone is cut out for staying home, and I actually used to consider myself in that category....I was short on patience most of the time, and felt that not working would be a waste of my college degree. What I found was that when I was not exhausted from working at Enterprise all day, I am a much more fun mom, and I have way more patience!

I think that if you are able to and you think you would enjoy staying home, jump in with both feet. I am the type of person who wants to be the best and to succeed, and I want to do everything I can to be the best mom and wife I can. Plus it keeps my mind busy to learn new things and to have other mom friends to learn from and share experiences with! So there you have it, I am staying home and loving it. I am learning how to cook and bake and be a little crunchy granola and while I am by no means making everything from scratch it is fun to try my hand at things and see how it turns out. And yes....some of you will be recieving home made jam for Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Mom play dates rock! I'm so glad to hear you are absolutely loving staying home with the little ones! It certainly is a different experience. I've stayed home with Emily since she was born. I have loved every minute of it. Even though it can be trying sometimes...Cooking and baking are two of my favorite things to do, as well. It's funny how much you change when you have children. I used to think I would never be good in the kitchen, let alone being a full time SAHM! You're doing an awesome job, Ryan! And your blog is adorable!

    Jami

    ReplyDelete