Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Meanwhile...

At bible study on Monday night we were talking about meanwhile moments, you know the things that happen while you're busy making other plans. Most of you who read this are close family and friends and know the story but for those of you who are new to the Majors here's a little back story. Justin and I met when I was 20 and he was 22. Bethany was born 4 days before Justin turned 21, and he is a fantastic daddy. When we met I hadn't given much thought to being a mom. I guess I always figured I would have kids...some day. Well here was this great guy who came with a kid. Honestly I had no idea what I was getting myself into by being a step mom. First of all the name has such a negative connotation....thanks a lot Cinderella...Not all step moms are evil! Bethany is an amazing child, strong willed, funny, sweet, loving, a great big sister, and a lot like me in a lot of ways. She has a great sense of humor and is learning to be sarcastic which is hilarious! I was given this amazing opportunity to be her mom. I was literally thrown into mothering, and it has been the most challenging ride of my life. Being a step mom is not an easy task, and it can cause some serious hardships in marriage if you let it. I would say the hardest part is keeping a positive attitude. It is hard to answer the questions that are inevitable. But it is fun to be a Mom and a friend. I love that she comes to me with all the events of her day, and asks me zillions of questions from how to be a good friend to how to put an outfit together...she needs me and I need her! She is my helper with many things and she always knows when Mom needs a hug.

We had a parent teacher conference last night. The first one of 1st grade, and her teacher is amazing! I was really impressed with the way they are teaching reading in the public classrooms and how they incorporate social studies into all of the lesson plans. Very cool! Bethany is reading above her grade level, and is doing great socially. She is 'a joy to have in class'. As a parent isn't that the greatest thing you can hear? I need to remember these things when she is being a maniac at home...she is a joy to have in class. She is an amazing kid! I am so proud to be her mom.

Justin had to work late (very late...poor guy was at the office until like 10:30 last night) so it was just the girls and me last night. So to celebrate her good report we went out to dinner. She got everything she wanted...even 2 flavors of ice cream! She was so cute and so grown up at dinner, and she made me very proud! I am so excited to see all of the amazing things she is going to do with her life. Thank you Lord for my meanwhile moment, it is amazing how His hand changed my plans! Silly me thinking I had a say.

No comments:

Post a Comment